Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"Oh no! My AP Stylebook Got Wet!"


Hopefully this short blog will encompass part of my professor's intrigue with on-the-go journalism. Granted this isn't the story of the year, but it's worth a shot. Those who have read any of my previous weather stories printed in the Columbia Missouri at the beginning of 2007 might find it humorous that I again find myself on the "weather beat."


As Rachel walks into the lounge area outside the classroom her curious classmates question her on the weather conditions outside.
"Oh my gosh," was her only response.

As winter weather conditions begin to pummel the Columbia area Tuesday afternoon, Bill Allen, an ag journalism professor at the University of Missouri, dismisses those from his senior capstone class who wanted to get home before the snow and ice got worse.

"It's better to be careful," Allen said.
According to the National Weather Service out of St. Louis, Columbia remains under a wind advisory until 9 p.m. Wind gusts of up to 45 mph are expected. Snow accumulation should not exceed 1/2 inches.

The 10 female students in Allen's class were pleased their professor cares for their safety on the roads and took full advantage of the opportunity to seek shelter from the storm.
Ok. So I editorialized at the end there, but as a hard news reporter, you never get to do that!

4 comments:

breno said...

I like this. You'll get a job! Your education is working for you! Too bad that the weather isn't!

Alice said...

Nice post! And yes, it looks like you're on the weather beat again.

Taryn Dameron said...

This is so creative Allyssa! You really captured the moment. Hopefully the weather holds out for tomorrow's class!

Bill Allen said...

Great headline, Allyssa. I liked your editorializing, too.